Background

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Gypsy Wife is Finished!

I wish I had the time to make my blog all pretty.  I just find that I'd rather quilt than spend more time on the computer, since I already spend work time on the computer.  So it's not pretty, but it will have to do.  Hmmm... maybe when I retire?...  and maybe then I'll have more time to blog, as well?  We'll see.

I finally finished my Gypsy Wife quilt.  It's a pattern by Jen Kingwell and although I absolutely adore the quilt, I have to say that I struggled with the instructions.    

I took a class from Jen Kingwell a few months ago just because I wanted to see her quilts in person.  She uses some amazingly different fabrics, what with her Arab Emerites and Australian influence.  She picks stuff that I would find ugly just by itself.  But it all looks great in her quilts.  I love using "ugly fabric" in my quilts.  Just more interest.

But as I said, I still love the quilt.  And I'm keeping it.  Here come the pictures--it's gone off to the quilter this week.



This is the full quilt on the design wall.  Took me several weeks to get all the pieces in the right place.  I did change out a couple.  The yellow heart is a block I had on-hand from several years ago when I was teaching applique, so I used it.


Here's a closeup.  You know I love text fabric!


I love the birds on the wire.


Lots of interesting fabrics.



This is probably my favorite block in the whole quilt.  And you know I'm not always going to use the same fabric in the same spot, right?


More text fabric...


Love the birds.  This is a spoonflower print that I ordered online.  Someone designed it and I ordered a fat quarter of her design.  She then got part of the profits.  Good for her!  I love it.


My crooked heart.


I've had this fabric for quite awhile.  I love the fat dancing lady.  The grey/pink fabric on the left is a very nice feed sack fabric that came from a great find at a garage sale that I've mentioned before on this blog.


Chandeliers.  Of course!


A piece(d) of my heart.


I had to add the pickle fabric, just for Jack!


I've used this pink flamingo fabric several times before.  I bought it for Romy girl.  
The pink/navy fabric in the center is another gorgeous feed sack fabric.  It's so modern!  It's one of my very favorite from the whole pile of feed sacks.


You can't have fabrics these days without without having at least one with owls in it, right?


The red floral is more feed sack fabric.


The center is Denise Schymt fabric.  Could be Flea Market Fancy.  
Not sure--just know it's hers. 


The center here is one fabric my daughter sent me from Amsterdam at least 15 years ago.  
I am very careful with them and use them sparingly.  



Paperclips!


These little guys are funny.  Not sure what they are supposed to be. 


I know I'm going to enjoy having this quilt.  Can't wait to get it back from the quilters!



No comments:

Post a Comment